Apologies for not keeping up to date with technique a week, but there has been little time for experimenting lately.
I tried out some new stains and glazes yesterday, I could hardly wait to get up this morning and open the kiln, every morning is Christmas morning when you have a kiln.
Firstly here’s what went right, my Christmas decorations, now I need to decorate them, I left the back unglazed so people can write their own message on the back……. baby’s first Christmas….. or ….Grandma we love you! handmade, or handpainted Christmas decorations are a lot of work but they are a tradition now, I enjoy painting them each year.
Watch out for further posts to see how I decorate them, I can’t decide, Christmas zentangles, or traditional, maybe you can help me decide, I’d appreciate your comments.
Now for the experimental pieces, some, like the bisque pieces, are fine but some are not so good. It’s always fun to try new glazes and clays, you never know how they will fire. The flat pieces are mostly fine but some of the thin pieces have warped.
The nichrome wire sagged so the hanging pieces touched on the bat, and the backs stuck to the posts, I’m going to buy some rods from Bath Potters
Oh I nearly forgot to mention I put some glass frit on some of the pieces, the results are interesting.
So all in all mixed results, which will lead to more experimenting, what fun. I never see an experiment as a failure, it’s all part of the learning curve, and keeps me on my toes.
If you have any tips to prevent thin pieces warping during firing I’d love to hear from you. Thanks for reading my kiln fired art blog.