Results of yesterday’s firing

Opening the kiln this morning didn’t yield the wow factor, more of the…….. ok but could be better factor.

I knew the buff clay body that I used  would be, well, buff. But it looks much darker than I had in my head. I fired it to 1240C which is possibly a little too hot for this clay, it’s usually fired between 1020 and 1230C . But it’s all part of the learning curve so I will fire one of the other tiles a bit lower and see what I get. The wren tile is just bisque fired, it’s here to show the colour change.

P1280498My glaze samples,well again none of them wow me, but I didn’t expect the underglazes to be so shiny. Autumn shades is quite nice but I want a blue grey colour so I might go with the blue grey glaze, but maybe put some underglaze under it and hope for the best. The iron oxide doesn’t seem to have made any difference at all. Oh what fun it is to experiment, I just wish it all happened a lot quicker.

P1280499

Advertisements

About eganj1

Obsession making artsm crafts, and all things creative
This entry was posted in kiln fired art and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s