We braved the cold weather earlier this week to have a raku firing. It was cold but bright and most importantly there was little wind, which helps the firing process, but also we managed to stay warm.
I had lots of small fry to fire, about 80 in total. It’s a bit fiddly lifting them in and out of the kiln so I tried some on a bead rack. Unfortunately they didn’t get enough flame in the combustion bucket so I went back to firing them individually.
I made a hanging hare as an experiment, I was concerned about the ears and feet breaking but they didn’t. I felt the hare could be blacker so it was cold painted just to get the dark really dark. I think it worked well, now I have other ideas brewing.
I was asked if I made butterflies so I did 🙂
I used some new glaze combinations on the fat fish, I love these, it’s going to be hard to part with them but they have gone into my shop. I will be making more of these soon.
And of course I can’t have a raku firing without making more leaf wall art. I never tire of making these leaves and I love the way each one is unique. There will be another raku day tomorrow then I will get some leaves and bowls listed. The hare and butterfly have now sold so I will have to get cracking and make some more.
Busy busy 🙂