I had a raku firing last weekend, if you follow me on Facebook you will know already. I had a bin bag full of dry fallen leaves so I used those in the combustion bin. They crackled and sparked like a bonfire, and I am sure someone of the swirly iridescent colour was a result of using dried leaves but I can’t be sure. This leaf has some lovely swirly colours, which doesn’t usually happen this pronounced. This trinket dish has the swirly effect too, don’t you just love those colours?
I did some with sawdust to compare, but I think I will have to experiment a lot more to find out if dried leaves makes a difference to the colours. There were lots of fish. These are my favourite fish.
Some jewellery components.
There were some art tiles to hang on the wall. Also hares and moons, which sold out but I am busy making more this weekend.
Finally I have found the time to list some new stock in my Etsy shop.
There’s more to follow but I have made a start listing raku pieces. Click on the images to go to my shop.
Lots of raku leaves listed in various sizes.
The shoal of small fish are back in stock, as are the mackerel. The fat fish will be coming soon but I need to fire them still.
I made some abstract art tiles, these have a hanger on the back, a lot have sold already. I will be making more of these, I have always loved painting abstracts, they make me feel I’ve injected some energy into my work. Also I have a plan for this year to make art tiles using various decorative techniques in order to push my boundaries.
There are raku wall clocks to follow, and some butterflies, they need to be fired.
I have some stoneware and porcelain pieces to follow, as well as lots and lots of jewellery components sitting here waiting to be glazed. All I need is more hours in my day and some warm dry weather.
This past week the weather has turned, we have had plenty of rain and it’s back to dull Autumnal weather with sunny spells.
I’m not complaining though, my beloved fells need water to green them up, although it’s almost time for the bracken to turn bronze again. I love the changing seasons.
I did have plans this summer to throw as much as I could and bisque fire so it was there to glaze during the cooler months. This also doubles up in heating the studio making it more inviting to work in when it’s horrible weather.
Who would have thought the weather would be so good this summer? However having so many family celebrations, and travelling quite a bit meant the pots didn’t get made.
So this week it has been back to work in order to catch up. At least we can raku fire responsibly as there is little risk of a field catching fire now since all the rain came down.
I have been making leaves which are drying nicely.
I have lots of bowls waiting to be glazed too, so as you read this I am probably tucked up in the studio listening to Bad Company (my music of choice when doing clay work) a brush and a pot of glaze to hand.
While I was tidying up this morning I was thinking about what to make next. I have to think of something inspired by swirls for the Art Elements challenge. I have a couple of ideas but nothing is shouting out at me. Also I would like some dinner plates for Christmas so it’s time to try again, hoping they don’t crack this time. Then there is another bag of raku clay to throw, and my kitchenware pouring bowls are in demand. Told you there was lots of catching up to do…….
When we moved into this house I decided that I didn’t want anything near the windows that would distract from the view so I went for plain walls and simple blinds.
But for some time I’ve wanted to make something to hang in the corner that would add interest but not overwhelm. I wanted to connect the outside and the inside in some way.
So while I had the raku kiln out I made ‘Falling Leaves’ wall art. These are made with the heavily grogged clay , I used some brushed on as slip to roughen up the surface. This has worked really well adding texture to the leaves once glazed.
Some of the leaves have amazing colour.
The beauty of raku is you are never quite in control, I’m sure I didn’t use these colour glazes.
I thought this leaf was less interesting so I gave it some faux water droplets.
Here’s how they look all together, I’m really pleased with them.
Spacing the leaves was a bit problematic even though I tried them out on the floor and measured the spacing. Never mind, out came the polyfilla. I’m still not sure about the spacing, I might add a couple more small leaves. I have a kiln full of leaves bisque firing today as I’m certainly going to add these to my range of products. I’m so pleased with how these turned out, and they make me smile.