More tie dye done this week, I needed some gym tops. My last tie dye post was so popular I thought I would give some more details on the process, there’s loads of how to’s on Youtube so I won’t go into too much detail. If you have any questions just ask.
I bought some 100% cotton T shirts from Amazon, I got Fruit Of The Loom XL this time as I want them baggy.
Firstly they were washed then soaked for an hour or so in soda ash solution. Maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons to 3 L of warm water. I rarely measure anything accurately.
They were rung out as much as possible then laid flat. Now to spiral them by pinching a spot and twisting.
I kept pleating the fabric where needed and continued twisting.
Next they were tied up with some yarn.
The dyes are Procion M X , they are really vibrant saturated dyes and work well. I mixed 1 to 2 teaspoons of dye with 1 teaspoon of urea ( you don’t really need the urea but it helps the dye go into solution) then mixed with warm water to dissolve. I probably made about 1/2 to 3/4 of a yoghurt pot of each dye. You get different effects depending how you place the dyes. I used a pipette to add the dye to the fabric, working in wedges I did all one side, then turned over and did the other side. I kept the same colour in each wedge on both sides. This one has red, orange and navy blue.
The blue and turquoise ones used leftover dye from last week. One has 2 spirals on it. They were covered in plastic and left overnight .
I undid the bundles and rinsed out as much dye as possible before putting through the washing machine.
Here they are after ironing.
I don’t usually wear red but I think that one is my favourite.
I’ve not blogged in a while as my mojo left me, I really didn’t have anything worthy of blogging about. A couple of ‘creative play’ days with my friend has got my creative juices flowing again and now I feel ready to get into making mode. I’ve also had a mega destash in the studio to make some space to work. Clearing the clutter always helps don’t you think?
We decided on easy projects that were fun to do. We got in tune with nature doing some eco printing with all natural dyes, the photo’s didn’t come out very well but you have seen my eco printing before.
It’s been years since I’ve done tie dye, these were dyed using Procion dyes, I really love the first T shirt.
The next day Jean showed me how to do an acrylic pour, I found it difficult to get large cells so more research and playing are needed. I love the effect on this one that Jean did, it reminds me of marbled paper.
This one is mine, it’s the last one that I did, I was using up the leftover colours, it had more cells than my other attempts. If you would like to see some more of my acrylic pours head over to my Facebook page.
These 2 days have been a tonic to me, there’s nothing to beat getting creative with friends to rekindle a flagging mojo. Happy days!